Skip to Main Content

SPEAK I.T is available at the top of this web page should users have difficulty reading. There is also an option to change the language which is currently selected. However, if any tenant or applicant wishes to view any of our documents in a braille or audio recording format then this can be arranged by calling the office on 0141 944 4902. 

Universal Credit

Useful Information

Universal Credit is a single monthly benefit for working-age people who are unemployed or on a low income. 

It applies to everyone who is currently in receipt of the following benefits:

Job Seekers Allowance – Income Based

Housing Benefit

Child Tax Credits

Working Tax Credit

Employment and Support Allowance – Income Based

Income Support

Universal Credit is being introduced in stages and will initially affect those who have a change of circumstances i.e. change of address, if you are currently in receipt of income support and your child turns 5 years from December-onwards etc. Universal Credit will eventually be rolled out to all groups. 

When you are invited to apply for Universal Credit and if you currently receive housing benefit to help with your rent payments this will now be paid to you through your Universal Credit and not to Drumchapel Housing Co-operative Limited. It is essential that you make an arrangement with your housing officer to pay your rent monthly i.e. by direct debit

If you are subject to an Under Occupancy Charge you must still apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) at Glasgow City Council.

There is no limit as to how many hours you can work while in receipt of Universal Credit, it is calculated on how much you earn. It is paid into a bank/building society account.

You have to make your claim online (see links in opposite column).

If you’re worried about using a computer to make your claim, it’s important you get help. This is because your claim will not start until you have sent your online form.

If you don’t have access to a computer at home, you might be able to use one for free at your local Jobcentre, library, Citizens Advice or council.

You might also be able to get help filling in the application at one of these centres. Not all will be able to offer this service, so check before you go. However, you could get a friend or family member to help you.

Computer support for claiming Universal Credit is available at Knightswood Library on Tuesday mornings 10 a.m. – 1.00 p.m. and at Anniesland Library on Monday afternoons 1.30 p.m. – 4.30 p.m (see link in opposite column).

 Scottish Home Awards Winners 2017 Logo - resizedhappy to translate Disability Confident - CommittedParliamentary ReviewTPAS Logo